Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Rain... Day 6


December 26th,

Rain continues. After the chaos of yesterday I had plans of finding a safe place to retreat and regroup as the natives enjoyed the offerings found beneath the jungle’s aglow evergreen yesterday. However, as per usual in this suburban wilderness, the natives sensed a peaceful activity and worked quickly together to thwart that.  (Nice to see them work together though I suppose).

The eldest native did his part in making sure his caretaker was on his toes by deciding to snap his spectacles in two. This was truly and ingenious attack because it is twofold; for one it creates s sense of urgency for myself to get going on the day much sooner than I had planned. And two, it means taking both natives into the establishment in which they sell new spectacles. As I’m sure you can imagine, I am not looking forward to this excursion with much exhilaration.

The youngest is doing his part by covering every speck of the jungle floor with something, and anything. What one would never know from entering our jungle is that I spend a great deal of my day keeping the dwelling in order. Making sure that the natives have clean garments, good nourishments, and that their living space is in good shape.  And yet something that takes 4 hours to get looking perfect daily, takes between 4 and 14 minutes to utterly destroy for the younger native. It is almost a challenge to this young creature. For instance, it seems to be a rule to these natives that no window shall ever be clean. They have a ritual in fact; immediately after a window has been scrubbed the eldest rests his forehead upon the glass and drags it up and down to make streaks, whilst the youngest finds it more efficient to lick the entire surface of the window.

Regardless, it appears I am not meant to relax today; perhaps when the natives are grown… But for now they remain fascinating little creatures. Against my better judgment I shall continue to observe their native ways.

Must be off now, spectacles aren’t going to buy themselves, pray for me friends..

No comments:

Post a Comment