Sunday, December 30, 2012

Imagination at work


In recent days I have started to experience new and exciting changes with the natives; and as with any new experiences, some new lessons came in tow. Since the time of their arrival to the jungle the natives have always awoken early in the morning and then come straight into my cave to jolt me awake from my peaceful slumber. I have developed the ability to sleep very lightly and therefore hear any stirrings in the jungle even as I sleep. It doesn't make for a very restful sleep but it has come in handy the many times my immediate attention has been required in the middle of the night.

Since Christmas however a new routine is developing. It seems the excitement of new toys is more appealing then pouncing on their caretaker first thing in the morning. For me, what that means is 15-20 delightful minutes snug and warm in my bed with my eyes shut listening to the natives happily play in the other room.

Today I could hear them making each other “breakfast” with their Fisher Price kitchen set. I could hear them bustling around imagining to take each other’s orders and pretending to cook food for one another. What bliss to lay in bed listening to the happy sounds of natives interacting with each other. How inventive they were to be referencing the groceries we had just bought the day before. How sweet that they were trying to do like their caretaker, saying things like, “first add the flour, now the sugar”.  How nervous I was, when I suddenly tried to remember if I had put all the groceries away last night. I was tired, and I believe anything that didn't need to go into the refrigerator was on the counter, reasonably within their reach… (know where this is going yet..? Yep, so did I). And as I leapt out of my warm bed I discovered two small natives in my kitchen who had not “cooked” “breakfast” they had truly cooked breakfast… What can you do but smile? (And then spend the next hour cleaning up their culinary expedition). Looks like an early bath time for these natives today; and God willing, an early bedtime tonight for all. It’s going to be another long day in the jungle.



The ads below are hand-selected by the Native Diaries editing team as relevant to jungle-living and native-care. We hope you enjoy & thanks for reading! 




No comments:

Post a Comment