Sunday, January 20, 2013

Safety First


The two natives in my care are naturally captivated by superheroes both real and imagined, (not just spider-man but also policemen and firemen).  Being that I am the sole caretaker for these natives I decided the youngsters should learn more about these real-life heroes in the event that they should ever need to call upon their assistance. I explained the purpose of each occupation and how in the event of an emergency by dialing 911 they could summon these professionals to their door to help in whatever way was needed. I also explained what constituted an emergency, (within reason for a young native mind to interpret.)
The natives seemed to take the talk well and spent the remainder of the afternoon role playing the heroic individuals whose job is to help those in times of emergency. Come dinner time that evening, the eldest was in quite a mood. Normally behavior like this is one to fear and is a signal to retreat, however I have learned adequate nutrition in the native is imperative for a smooth evening in the jungle. The elder native did not find amusement in my comparison of broccoli to trees, nor my swamp made from tomato soup. When a battle engaged after he was told there would be no confections until his vegetables were eaten he stormed off to his cave for some reflection. The youngest native was feeling cooperative and found amusement in the whimsical presentation of his food. He ate happily as the eldest bellowed at me from his cave about what an improper caretaker I was.
As I began to clean up from supper and prepare the youngest for his bath, my attention was pulled toward a commotion outside. I gazed out the window to find two uniformed officers storming up the path to the jungle. I opened the door and was informed that the police had been called approximately 30 minutes prior to their arrival. Apparently they had been told that the caregiver had been cruel to the native residing there and had gone so far as to deprive him of food. They asked to come in to see the “horrid” conditions in which the native must be living in based on his testimony.
My face must have matched the crimson soup the native had tossed across the table in disgust earlier as I led the officers into the house and called for the elder native. By this time of course he had forgotten the incident entirely and had been happily playing in his cave. Upon a quick look around the officers decided that perhaps this was less a case of neglect and more a case of a caregiver who had left a phone lying where a sworn enemy of broccoli could reach it.
We bid the officers adieu after a long talk with the native about the importance of calling 911 only in true cases of emergency. Despite his strong opinion, being told "no dessert before vegetables" was not a matter constituting the jailing of his caregiver; whether he approved or not. I would like to say the elder native has learned from this and will give up the fight against me; however I fear that this has only fueled him to come up with more creative ways in which to get rid of me. I shall sleep with one eye open tonight.


The ads below are hand-selected by the Native Diaries editing team as relevant to jungle-living and native-care. We hope you enjoy & thanks for reading! 



No comments:

Post a Comment